Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'd Like a College Life, Please

I had a killer day yesterday.
I left my house at 8:00 am.  I ran some errands, then hit the office.  I worked behind a desk for about 6 hours and then I wacotted for about 7 hours.
For those of you who don't know: WACOT = walking around, checking on things.  It's a skill.
I got in my car at 11:45 pm and luxuriated in the hour commute home.  I changed into my favorite kaftan (some of you might call it a muumuu, but I think it's much more fashionable than that.  It has a drawstring that creates an empire waist and makes me look like that woman on the Jeffersons, but I digress.  We can talk about my nightwear preferences some other time.) It takes me a while to "wind down", so I finally crawled into bed at 2am.
So, for those of you having difficulty following along, here's the Cliff Notes version:
Up at 6:30am, in bed at 2am: 16.5 hour day from front door to front door, juggling all day long.
Poor me.
I can hear you guys breaking out the violins.

I woke up at noon today.
While I stood in the shower, hoping the water could scald the pain out of my joints, I reminisced about my college days.  How did I do it?  I had 8 am classes--most of which I actually attended.  I went to work after class and then I went to a bar after work.  When the bar closed down, I usually went home... around 2pm.  This was my college routine--not every day--but more frequently than not.
Not so different than the act I pulled off yesterday.  So why is it that the most I've been able to manage today is to make a sandwich and take the recycling out?
"Boy," I thought to myself.  "If someone could just bottle College Life, I'd give them just about whatever they wanted."

I imagine myself sidling up to the bar.
"What'll you have tonight, ma'am."
Ma'am.... oh how I hate to be called Ma'am.  Well, we'll fix that in a hurry.
"I'll have a College Life, please."
"Comin' right up.  That'll be $500."
"Not a problem."
He pops the cap and as he pours the beverage into a frosty mug, I can already feel it.  The possibilities, the curiosity, the liberty.  Ahhh.  But there's something else...  along with the possibilities comes the horrible mistakes.  The curiosity renders painful discoveries.  Liberty hold hands with damaging irresponsibility.  And College Life will definitely suck the cash right outta your pocket.

Want to rethink that?

On second thought, I'll stick with vodka and glucosamine.







No comments:

Post a Comment