Friday, November 4, 2011

The Most Humiliating Day of My Life

A couple of years ago, to celebrate the opening of our Christmas season, the management team at work decided it would be a good idea to kick things off by serving our team breakfast that morning.  I am happy to serve as hostess at such an event for people who work so hard every day.  I'm delighted to play silly games, clear tables, sing Christmas songs, etc.  I'm a little less than thrilled to do it at the end of 12 straight work days, on my one day off, dressed like an elf.

So after my gig was over, I was high-tailing my red & white stripe socks and pointy elf hat out of there as fast as my little Shetland Pony legs could carry me.  Unfortunately, before I could escape I ran into our friend Jesse who works with my beau.  He was with several other people and as badly as I hated attempting polite conversation while looking like Hermey the Dentist, it would have been rude not to stop and say hello.  Jesse introduced me to his friend John, saying "Phil's done some work for John and it was awesome."  John nodded his head in agreement.  I said "Oh, I'm so glad.  Phil's very talented; he does good work."  John said "So, are you, like, Phil's Mom?"

...................................... dude .......................................

I won't repeat what came out of my mouth after that, but let's just say the overall feeling for John went from being something like the final scene in "It's a Wonderful Life" to the final scene in "The Exorcist."  It's safe to say John is clear now.

Sadly, that wasn't the 1st time I've been mistaken for Phil's mother, nor the last, but as I recount my life's experiences, being mistaken for the mother of a man who is 7 year older than I am while wearing full elf regalia tops the list as the most humiliating.

No comments:

Post a Comment