Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Adam & Eve Theory

I have a theory about how the whole 'eating the apple' thing came about.

I suspect that Eve, being the chief cook and bottle washer of Eden, was tired of cooking all day every day.  I imagine that Adam came home from work-like he did every day-and said those 3 magic words.

"Are you hungry?"

Eve fell for it every time, because while "what's for dinner?" has clear expectations that she should prepare food, "are you hungry?" holds the possibility of a Taco Bell run.
So, every time, she would say "yes" and every time, Adam would reply "so what should we have for dinner?" Every living, breathing woman on the planet knows that's passive-aggressive code for...

"what's for dinner?"

But that was BEFORE she ate the apple.  You see, she was always looking for new ways to serve lamb so she sampled the fruit, concluding it made an excellent condiment when chopped with grapes and celery, and if Adam ever slaughtered a lamb that THEY could eat, she'd be ready with the perfect go-to side.

That evening when Adam arrived home from the fields and said "are you hungry?", in her enlightened state, she knew he was really saying "feed me" and she replied "I am the Mother of All Nations; can't you see I'm busy?  Surely you can manage a little hunter-gatherer action."

Since drive-thrus had yet to be invented and there wasn't a Taco Bell within a 100 miles of Eden anyway (hence-Eden...) Eve knew, regardless of any other task she might need to accomplish, she would be gathering salad greens in the near future.

Fed up, she said "Grab one of those apples  to tide you over while I finish up this fig leaf skirt", knowing the full ramifications of her instructions.  But really, isn't spending eternity with a guy who doesn't even wear underwear while he's sitting at the kitchen table, drinking his morning coffee, hell in itself?  

No comments:

Post a Comment