Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Strippers

I was in the lingerie section in Target when a family rolled up next to me.  Mama was a little round thing leading the way and Daddy was pushing a cart filled with two adorable little girls who appeared to be preschool age.
Mama joined me in perusing the thong display.  Honestly, I'm not really a thong advocate, but it's hard for me to pass up anything that has pink elephants printed on it...  apparently Mama felt the same way.  She was the chattery sort & I was learning lots about their family during our time together.  The girls were named Mia & Hawaii (pronounced How-I-ya).  My apologies if you are reading this and now realize I'm talking about someone in your family, but at least you'll know I'm not making this stuff up.
Then she pulls out one of the pink elephant thongs, holds it up to examine it, and says "I wonder if these come any smaller."
I gave her a quick sideways glance, thinking maybe my mind had played tricks on me when I first looked at her, but I had thought she was larger than me, and no way am I getting in something that sma......

That's when it hit me.  Gasp!  She's. not. looking. at. thongs. for. her. self.

Daddy read my mind, "I'm not buying those for her."
Mama says "Well, yer jus' gonna hafta face the fact that she's growin' up!!"
At this point, I dropped any pretense of minding my own business and just waited for Daddy to respond.
He said "she's 6."

I'm stunned.  Who would have thought that A MAN could be the voice of reason?

2 comments:

  1. YOU. R. KIDDING. ME!!!!!!!!!! Did you see my post earlier in the week about the guy on CNN that said "don't let your daughters dress like tramps?" My comment to sharing the post was something along the lines of I'd like to see the delusional people that buy "tramp" wear for their little girls? Well, too bad I didn't have the privilage of witnessing that. I think I would have told her "don't let your daughters dress like tramps"! LOL and her IQ appeared to be what before you heard that come out of her mouth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Su-I was just floored. I had to turn around and walk away. At least the Dad seemed to have some sense.

    ReplyDelete